Kaleb Then (moments after surgery)

Kaleb Now
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:28-31 (NIV translation)

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's a boy!!!!!!

(Can't find any pregnant pictures of me, at least not any good ones so this is what you get!)


Setting: March 29, 2009..... We're at Dee's with our friends Becca and Steve Hendricks and their little girl Allie (she was just a wee babe still sittin in high chairs).  We had just gone to church and wanted to have a bite with some good company.

My Feelings:  I was exhausted..... I had been feeling that way for weeks now.  I thought it was from how much I was working out, see I was trying real hard to get in shape while we were trying for a baby, and I would go to the gym every night for a couple hours, running maybe an hour or more on the elliptical and lifting weights, so you know I thought I was just maybe overdoing it or not getting enough sleep, I don't know but I did notice that I had been more tired than usual lately and I was doing everything right for a healthy body and mind.

After we were finished with lunch I had all these thoughts about how tired I was going thru my head and I thought, OH YA, it's going to be "that time of the month" soon that's probably why I'm so tired........... But....... Then again I've been tired like this for weeks!  (And because I'm so neurotic)..... Maybe somethings wrong, maybe I have cancer, maybe I have a tumor in the section of my brain that makes you tired and the tumor is just so big that it's clicking my melatonin valve too much and I'm just constantly sleepy!  Oh no!!  Oh my!!  (I really am this paranoid).  So after fancying my silly thoughts about me dying I started counting and realized that I should already be in "that time of the month".... I was only a few days late but I thought what the heck, we've been trying so it wouldn't be that horrible of a thing to buy a pregnancy test.  Even if it comes out negative you can buy them in boxes of two for a discount price and then HEY, we'll have an extra around for the next time I think I'm pregnant. I wasn't one of those women that was pee-on-a-stick happy.... Ya know where the couple is trying to get pregnant and any sign of pregnancy shows up, like they get a stomach ache one morning and they think "I must be pregnant!", so they go pee on a stick (a pregnancy test) HA HA HA..... Anyway, I'm not like that, I like to be pretty damn sure that something is possible before I even test the waters. 

So we go to Smith's get a pregnancy test, I take it.... And I shook the whole time!  Shane just calmly went about his day, and I paced for 2 minutes, the longest 2 minutes of my life!!!!!  I slowly open the bathroom door just a crack and peer in with one eye wondering if I can see how many pink lines had shown up.... Nope... couldn't see it from that angle so I slowly approach the lone pregnancy test stick and what to my wondering eyes did appear?  TWO PINK LINES!!!!! HOORAAAAAYYY!!!!! WE'RE PREGNANGT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I couldn't believe how overwhelmed and happy I was!  I didn't think I would be so emotional.  We immediately sped up to my parents house (I hadn't even been to the doctor yet so we had no idea how far along I was) they were ecstatic, we stayed and visited awhile calling all of our relatives with them on speaker phone so everyone in the room could hear their reactions and I can't believe it, Shane's grandma Jean actually screamed, she was so excited!  After everyone we could think of in the family  had been called we finally got a hold of Shane's parents and went to inform them of the happy news and I've never seen such inaction to such exciting news as your first grandchild.  My mother-in-law said "Wooooow!" (not even capital WOW) and I don't even remember what my father-in-law said, it was that unmemorable!  Ha ha ha, but Becky and Randy absolutely adore Kaleb and are such awesome grandparents!

We are so excited to have Kaleb in our lives but getting him here wasn't void of a gnarly journey, that's for sure!  You'll hear all about it in the days to come.

To those of you who actually read this blog, thank you!  I really am doing this to help me heal from what we went thru with Kaleb; how we saw our baby suffer thru such a big thing as open heart surgery, how we thought we were going to loose him (something I still worry about almost every day)!  I know, I know.... Look how good he looks, look how he's thriving!  I know!  I see that!  I am so grateful to God for that!  But what a freak thing to happen!  Things like this aren't supposed to happen to normal people like me and Shane!  They are supposed to stay in the movies or we're just supposed to stay in the 98% percent of people that don't have to go thru stuff like this.  It's so weird thinking that you're this normal person with a normal life, with a husband or wife, a little house with a modest yard, a dog, a car, a mortgage, and one day maybe 2.4 kids!  And then BAM!!!!  God reminds you that you aren't normal!  You are HIS child, HIS royalty and you can handle this stuff.  He's putting you thru it because you can handle it and by handling it you rely on Him more, become closer to Him, you have a deeper and more meaningful relationship with Him.  It's crazy I'm telling you.  Going thru stuff like this with your child really changes who you are so deep inside it's just weird. 

So that was my overly long thank you and description of the reason why I am doing this but it's a good reminder for me that God hasn't left the building.

2 comments:

  1. you were with us the day you found out! That's so cool.
    LOL. I did read the whole thing, please believe I didn't stop after I saw my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha, yes That day is when we found out I was prego!

    ReplyDelete